Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Houses, pre-nups and plane geeks

I really really really want to buy my own unit.

I always have. About 12 months ago, I moved in with Lukey. He owns his own house and I guess I just got into my comfort zone. Now I have a well paid job, I really want to make an investment. I want to own enough properties to retire eventually in comfort, and I would like to start now. I'm looking in Yokine, and my Dad's a mortgage broker, so he's done the numbers, and the price range that I'm looking at is well below what I would get approval for. And I've looked at my budget, and if I rent the unit out and continue to live with Luke, it would only be a little more than what I pay Luke in "rent" now.

I have spoken to Luke and we'll get an official financial agreement sorted out. Right now, because I'm paying him rent and it's all documented, unlike other defacto relationships, i wouldn't be able to do anything stupid like claim half the house if we broke up. He hates that I pay him rent, because he's of the old mindset that he's the man and hence the "provider" but I've been really clear that I don't expect him to have to pay for me. He's told me tales of having girlfriends that have mooched off him and I don't ever want to be like that.

If I buy a house, well, both houses will be for "our" future, I'll pay for mine (minus rent), he'll pay for his, and should the world end and we find ourselves not working out, I'll walk away with my unit and he'll walk away with his house.

I've spoken to so many people about this and they all think it's weird that we're getting a financial agreement (a pre-nup without the nuptials) but I really impress it on everyone - you need to get your money stuff sorted out upfront. Even if its all rosy now, it COULD eventually one day go sour, and fighting over money and possessions with a broken heart to boot is not fun. And if it doesn't go sour and you get married and have seventeen thousand children and celebrate your 90th birthdays together - then what have you lost really? Besides a couple hundred dollars in legal fees?

Anyway, the hunt is on for a 2x1 in Yokine. But K-Rudd's announcement that the first home owners grant is doubling is going to mean a lot less to choose from =(

In other news, the A380 came to Perth Airport today. I had to get up at 6am to deal with all the plane nerds. Weirdos. Some of them freaked me out. One particular guy was SO excited that I thought he was going to start crying. I don't get it.

Here's the nicest photo for y'all to see:


It is pretty beautiful I suppose ;)

No comments: