Monday, October 27, 2008

Restaurant Review: Blue Water Grill

I have wanted to go to Blue Water Grill for as long as I've lived in Perth.

Someone told me about this restaurant, up on the hill in Applecross that used to be Heathcote psychiatric hospital, and it piqued my interest. I heard stories of bumps in the night, and other supernatural happening, but all that aside, I wanted to go and stand in the spot where so much history was created.

After pestering boyfriends and family members to go there for a few years, my work decided to have 2 planning days in 2 months in one of their function rooms.



The view did not disappoint, neither did the function facilities, but the menu did.

I think to market a high end restaurant to the people of Perth, it really needs to have a stand out menu, to keep people coming back on special occasions. There was limited choice of mains, with ONE seafood choice, ONE meat choice, ONE chicken choice. And while the staff were very attentive, and the food on the menu was good, I just think that for it's reputation and for the price, it could have been a little more creative. I shouldn't have been bored with the menu on my second visit there.

I did enjoy learning about the history - from memory, the Catholic Church owned the site and were going to make it into a school, but then ended up donating it to the State Government with the provision that the site not be subdivided and sold off for land. The State Government at the time were looking for a suitable site for a psychiatric hospital and hey presto! West Australian psycho's resided in a facility with one of the best views of Perth for a number of years before it was converted to a restaurant, and museum.

Maybe I just had high expectations for the menu, but I hope to go to the sister restaurant, Frasers in Kings Park for my next "special occasion". I hear the steaks are melt-in-your-mouth nom-nom!

I would recommend the Blue Water Grill if you haven't been there before - but I would only recommend going once!

credit to bluewatergrill.com.au for the image

2 comments:

Matt at Abstract Gourmet said...

So what did you actually eat at the Bluewater Grill ?

I find most places with amazing views having almost inversely lackluster food. Though I don't mind a small menu if it changes often and displays some hints of seasonal variation.

Having said that Frasers and Bluewater just seem like places to take dates, rather than somewhere i'd really enjoy eating.

Bel said...

Hmm yes, I'm not as professional at restaurant reviewing as you Matt =)

The first time I had the pan fried snapper, the second time was fish again, on a curried vegetable mix. They were reasonable serving sizes, but I did find some bones in the fish! The fish on curried vegetable was a seasonal variation on the normal menu.

I think I agree with you on Frasers and Bluewater being somewhere to take dates. I often find the best places to go for a tasty meal are little backwater places that people don't really know about.